International Chair for Advanced Studies on Hydration (CIEAH)
The International Chair for Advanced Studies on Hydration (CIEAH) was born in October 2016 and is developed from the legacy of the recently dissolved European Hydration Institute.
The CIEAH comes under the auspices of the Research Institute of Biomedical and Health Sciences (IUIBIS), of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It aims to develop and promote research projects on human hydration and healthy lifestyles.
This chair has the support and management of the Foundation Scientific and Technological Park of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The CIEAH has the following objectives:
- To organize and conduct training activities for the professional development such as courses, seminars or lectures in the field of hydration.
- To prepare reports and conduct technical studies in order to professional activity related to hydration in the context of promoting healthy lifestyles.
- To promote scientific research to better understand the hydration role on health, well-being and physical and cognitive performance.
- To support the monograph publications and technical papers on topics studied by the chair.
- To facilitate the exchange of information, opinions and knowledge about hydration among scientists, health professionals and also among the population in order to help them lead a healthy lifestyle, preferably in Spain and Latin America
- To conduct sociological research to understand consumer knowledge, attitude and behavior around hydration.
- To develop interesting tools to improve research and development of recommendations on hydration.
- To promote the importance of maintaining an adequate level of hydration and provide information to improve awareness and knowledge about good hydration practices, especially in those people at risk of being inadequately hydrated (there are specific hydration needs during pregnancy, breastfeeding period, physical activity, childhood and for the elderly people).
- To collaborate with other institutions to advance research on hydration and applied knowledge in order to assist and support health professionals and at-risk populations.
The activities of the CIEAH will increase the wealth of the community in the area of human hydration, stimulate the flow of knowledge and technology between universities, research institutions, companies and markets, promoting the development and spreading the culture of innovation.